Learn how to assign reseller accounts with their own private name servers such as ns1 and ns2 for their own clients in WHM.
Resellers can also have their own private name servers for their own clients making the server provider more anonymous and the reseller more credible.
We assume that you have already setup your resellers account and that you want to just add private name servers for them.
A guide on setting up reseller accounts will be provided soon in the Cpanel Tutorials section.
What You Need
2 free ip addresses
WHM root access to the server
Setting it up in WHM
Now that the name servers and IPs are registered we need to set them up on the server.
1. Login to your WHM account as root.
2. Click on Reseller Center on the left hand side.
3. Under Edit Reseller Privileges/Nameservers, select the reseller account you want to provide with private name servers.
4. Scroll down to the very bottom of the page until you see 4 entry boxes and it reads: Primary Nameserver:
5. In the Primary Nameserver field enter: ns1.clientdomain.com
6. Click “Assign IP Address“
7. Click “Add an A Entry for this nameserver“
8. In the Secondary Nameserver field enter: ns2.clientdomain.com
Repeat steps 6 and 7 for the Secondary Nameserver.
9. Click Save
10. Write down your resellers IPs and what name servers they belong to, on WHM click on Manage Nameserver IPs to view all name servers running.
Register the name servers, have your reseller login to your domain management page for the domain you registered and register ns1.newdomain.com and ns2.newdomain.com as nameservers (registries normally have a special facility for doing that). The registry may also have a facility to propogate these nameservers around the foreign registries – if so, you should use this facility.
These registrations may take a few days to propagate (often as many as 3 days).
Your resellers can now have their clients enter ns1.clientdomain.com and ns2.clientdomain.com helping your reseller look more professional and keeping them anonymous from you.